New Jersey Citizen Action Education Fund, NJCAEF, is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization that works to empower low- and moderate-income people through research, education and training on public policy issues important to working families and seniors. NJCAEF is a HUD designated fair housing organization, ensuring compliance of the fair housing act, throughout New Jersey through education and testing investigations.
Position Summary: NJCAEF is hiring a full‐time, bilingual Intake and Outreach Coordinator whose responsible will include intake and case management of fair housing complaint allegations, technical assistance requests, landlord/tenant complaints, and requests for fair housing information or referrals. The IOC is responsible for designing and implementing trainings and outreach through presentations, webinars, publications, online platforms including social media. Trainings are provided to housing consumers, social service agencies, housing providers, local government, and the general public. The IOC is responsible for publicizing NJCAEF’s fair housing program and services throughout the state and representing NJCAEF at meetings and events.
- Conduct intake of fair housing complaint allegations, provide counseling and assistance to complainants, refer complaints to the Test Coordinator for investigation, draft reasonable accommodation/modification requests and other correspondence on behalf of complainants
- Provide technical assistance regarding Fair Housing Act compliance to housing providers, social services agencies, and local government staff
- Provide information and referrals to callers with landlord/tenant and various other housing issues
- Develop education campaigns in response to complaints of housing discrimination
- Record and maintain database reporting statistics and case documents of all complaint allegations, technical assistance, landlord/tenant, and information and referral intakes
- Schedule and conduct educational trainings
- Enhance NJCAEF’s fair housing online presence
- Conduct outreach at meetings and events; network with housing professionals, social service organizations and government agencies in order to further NJCAEF’s fair housing mission.
- Record and maintain database-reporting statistics of all education and outreach activities and educational materials distributed
- Expand knowledge and skills necessary to maintain NJCAEF’s role as the region’s go to fair housing agency
- Create and maintain contacts with public service agencies and community groups whose clients or members are most likely to benefit from fair housing services
- Assist with other NJCAEF programs and events
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to be self‐directed, develop and maintain priorities and conduct multiple tasks in a given timeframe.
- Ability to develop contacts and schedule presentations.
- Exceptional time management and planning expertise.
- General computer skills, including familiarity with Microsoft Office (e.g., MS Word, Excel, Outlook), and other word processing and database applications.
- Ability to become proficient in the areas of fair housing, fair housing legislation and fair housing issues
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working with low‐ and moderate‐income individuals and communities
- Must own a car and have a valid NJ driver’s license and insurance
- Ability to work some night and weekend hours as needed.
Compensation: Competitive salary ranging from $39,000 ‐ $42,000 with comprehensive health care, dental, vacation, and other benefits. Position based in our Highland Park office.
Email cover letter and resume to:
Candace Harper, Director of Fair Housing Enforcement
Visit our website www.njcitizenaction.org
NJCAEF is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Women and people of color are encouraged to apply!