ENROLL FROM NOVEMBER 1, 2015 – JANUARY 31, 2016
(Medicaid Expansion enrollment and enrollment for special circumstances open year-round)
For more information or to make an appointment:
call NJCAEF at 973-273-0315 or 1-888-829-3711
165 Halsey Street (store front office)
Newark, NJ 07102
US citizens and legal residents can apply
New Jersey Citizen Action Education Fund offers free in-person application help at our office in Newark. A Certified Application Counselor can answer your questions and guide you through the application process.
Call with questions or to make an appointment: 1-888-829-3711
Hours: Tuesday – Friday: 9am – 5pm, Saturday: 10am – 3pm
(Closed on Sunday and Monday)
Address: 165 Halsey Street, Newark, NJ 07102
Do you qualify for Medicaid?
You may be eligible if:
- Are between the ages of 19-64 years old
- Are a single person with an income of less than $14,856.00
- Have a family of four (4) with an income less than $30,656.00
You can enroll now if you have a “Qualifying Life Event”
There are several situations that could allow to get coverage during the ¨Special Enrollment Period” such as a “Qualifying Life Event”. These include:
- Getting married
- Having a baby or adopting a child
- Moving to a different area
- Experiencing a Healthcare.gov error
- issues with Medicaid qualification and/or other complicated issues
- A loss of coverage due to divorce, death in family
- 26 yr old losing parents coverage.
- Changes to your income
- Changes in your immigration status
- Leaving incarceration
- Gaining status as member of an Indian tribe.
Citizen Action offers free in-person application assistance in English and Spanish at our Economic Security Center in downtown Newark, NJ. One of our Certified Application Counselors can work with you to answer your questions and guide you through the application process.
LOCATION: 165 Halsey Street (storefront office) in Newark, NJ 07102 Click here for a Map and Directions to our Center
HOURS: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday from 9AM-5PM and Saturday from 10AM-3PM
CALL: if you have questions, or to make an appointment, call NJCA at 1-888-829-3711
Consumers with general questions on healthcare issues can call NJCAEF’s toll free Consumer Health Helpline at 1-888-NJ GET WELL (1-888-654-3893) [link to Helpline page]
OPEN ENROLLMENT: If you do not secure insurance, you may have to pay a penalty. THERE ARE SOME CIRCUMSTANCES WHICH MAY QUALIFY YOU FOR SPECIAL ENROLLMENT (see below for more information).
NJ’S MEDICAID EXPANSION/NJ FAMILYCARE – WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
NOTE: THERE IS NO DEADLINE TO APPLY FOR MEDICAID OR NJ FAMILYCARE.
Beginning October 1, 2013, new federal rules changed Medicaid eligibility. NJ FamilyCare now includes: children, pregnant women, parents/caretaker relatives, single adults and childless couples. Financial eligibility is determined by the household’s latest federal tax return which, when filed, will be electronically verified.
• Children 18 and under are still eligible with higher incomes up to 350% FPL ($82,425 for a family of four). Parents still need to renew the coverage each year.
• Parents/Caretaker Relatives with income up to 133% FPL ($31,322 for a family of four) must have tax dependent children in their household in order to be eligible under this category. This is a new Medicaid Expansion eligibility group. Dependent children in the household must be insured also.
• Adults without dependent children with ages 19-64 and incomes up to 133% FPL ($15,282 single/ $20,629 couple) are considered to be another new Medicaid Eligibility Expansion Group.
• Pregnant Women up to 200% FPL. There are no changes to pregnant women.
• Aged, Blind or Disabled programs or Long Term Care, there are no changes in eligibility.
If you don’t qualify for a special enrollment period
If you don’t appear to qualify for a special enrollment period, or if you apply and the Marketplace says you don’t qualify, you have the following options:
• You can appeal a decision to deny you a special enrollment period.
• You can apply for Medicaid and NJ FamilyCare coverage if you think you may qualify. Medicaid and FamilyCare provide health coverage for some people and families with lower incomes or disabilities. There’s no limited enrollment period for Medicaid or FamilyCare. You can apply any time. If you qualify you can enroll immediately.
Important: If you don’t have minimum essential coverage, you must either pay a fee or have an exemption from paying the fee.
Special thanks to our Sponsors and Partners: The New Jersey Citizen Action Education Fund would not be able to provide these free services to individuals and families without the help of our sponsors and partners: